From the time you were a child, your tongue was a way to experience new things. As you grow older, your tongue becomes a way to explore new foods and first kisses. Did you also know that your tongue can also provide dentists, like Dr. Amirpasha Farnaghi of League City Elite Dentistry, with clues to not only your oral but overall health?
What Your Tongue Can Tell You About Your Health
To help you get a better understanding of what dentists look for on the tongue, here are six signs to watch for:
- White Coating on Tongue – Your tongue should be pink. If some parts are white, it could be a yeast overgrowth called thrush that occurs inside the oral cavity. It could also be from simply not brushing your tongue each time you brush your teeth. If the white brushes off, you’re in the clear!
- White Patches on Tongue – If you have a habit of smoking tobacco and notice white patches on your tongue, contact us to book an appointment. This could be a sign of oral cancer or leukoplakia, a condition that appears when the tongue is irritated. It often occurs in tobacco smokers.
- Red Tongue – While more commonly associated with folic acid or B-12 vitamin deficiency, an overly red tongue can be a sign of Kawasaki disease. Treatment can be as simple as adding a vitamin supplement to your morning routine.
- Irregular Red Bumpy Patches – Signs of a high fever can be shown on the tongue in the form of irregular red, bumpy patches. Contact your physician to make sure you are not suffering from something more serious as a precaution.
- Tender, Sore Tongue – Sensitivity in one spot or more on the tongue could be a sign of a food allergy or developing canker sore. If it doesn’t go away over time, contact us to schedule an appointment and get a professional opinion.
- Hairy Tongue – As strange as it sounds, a protein build-up can sometimes cause small bumps to become elongated to look almost like strands of hair on your tongue. Tongue scraping and a good brushing usually do the trick, but if not, contact our office.
Dr. Amirpasha Farnaghi and the team at League City Elite Dentistry are your best defense against many common oral health issues. Schedule an appointment for a comprehensive oral checkup to help maintain good dental health. Your smile is our priority.